Welcome to the magic of Sedona artist Mary Dove

Friday, July 20, 2012


Follow this Bald Eagle oil pastel to a finished painting.

Day 12:  Good Friday evening. It looks as if this phase is finished. Now I live with the Big Boy, without a name, for the next 30 days to see if additional corrections are needed. My surprise from the start, because of my relationship with the characters of my artwork, I thought this was going to be one of my bigger mountains to climb.

Maybe because I have been thinking about him for 2 years, he let me take the lead and develop my concept without pushing on me. This means he agrees with my representation. Those of you who are writers understand what I am talking about when you say the character in the story come alive and take over. This is the way I experience my art be it a portrait of an animal, a landscape, a flower or a building.




This is a cooperative venture to be share with all those on the same page, understanding and feeling the intent of the artwork and subject. My greatest pleasure is when a connection is made with this person to enjoy the subject's communication and my creation has a loving home either as a gicĂ©e or by sharing the original piece of art.




Here is the end of the first phase. His frame will be ready this weekend; he will hang on the wall to be lived with; to see if both he and I are happy with the end results. Then he is ready to enter the juried shows circuit and the marketplace to be shared. Some collectors have their orders in for when he and I push the “Go” button. 


Thank you for staying with me on this journey. You’ve made the task more interesting by watching over my shoulder. This process is not play; it a concentrated thought and hours of work. Would like to believe you enjoyed the trip.

Again, we need a name so he can be birthed.

Have a wonderful cool summer. I wish for each, good health, joy and prosperity.

Mary Dove


Those new to this process; Day 1: was July 4th. If you do not go all the way back to the beginning from this point, on the side bar click the bottom 1st Bald Eagle title which will take you to the starting point for this finished portrait. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment